Atmospheres are formed when fragments of foreign realms crash into Terminus, but fail to stabilize into a Mana Climate. These Mana mixtures become corrupt, producing bizarre, unpredictable and often threatening fields of energy. The resulting effect is an Atmosphere, which is based on the particular combination of Mana colors in the mixture. Atmospheres can be large enough to cover entire zones, or manifest in a small radius around a magical ring.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The Atmosphere System presents the player with environmental dangers and obstacles (or “questions” as we refer to them internally) that require specific “answers” the player must acquire for themselves.
Here is a short list of possible Atmospheres you could encounter as you explore Terminus:
- Silencing Mists
- Fog of Confusion
- Frenetic Floor
- Curse of Intangibility
- Heavy Air
- Shifting Walls
Let’s take a closer look at one of these (details subject to change, of course):
|The Gloom atmosphere can be found permeating most Undead ruins, crypts, graveyards… places with a high concentration of Undead. This particular Atmosphere impacts players negatively and Undead non-player characters (NPCs) positively while in its area of effect.
Negative Effects on Players
Positive Effects on Undead
So how will players “answer” these strange and often dangerous environmental “questions”? By seeking and acquiring Artifacts.
Artifacts[edit | edit source]
Artifacts are legendary rare items players can discover that offer unique utility. They are necessary to explore and overcome areas of the game where Atmospheres exist.
In the Gloom example above, players would need to acquire and equip the Bone-Woven Veil to mitigate Gloom’s negative effects.
Here is another short list of possible Artifacts you may discover and the special utility they provide:
• Shield of Mirrors: Forged by the master smiths of Khadassa, it can reflect light and has a chance to reflect magical attacks when blocking.
• Skyhold Grappler: Fashioned by the Gnomes of Skyhold to assist in advanced terrain traversement, the Skyhold Grappler can latch onto special surfaces and pull you to the target location.
• Ring of Anchors: Infused with the bitterness of the Dark Myr, this ring was designed to sink the wearer to the deepest reaches of the oceans.
• Crest of Illumination: This Archai crown was imbued with a powerful, resonating light source that can shine through the blackest darkness.
Lesser Atmospheres[edit | edit source]
- Resource Drains/Flows
Greater Atmospheres[edit | edit source]
- Supernatural Light/Darkness